Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to the Blogging!!

Ok so this is the first post in . . . . I don’t know how many months . . . . apologies for the delay but let’s face it no one who reads this is actually screaming for updates. So I’ve decided push myself and post more often . . . . try to gain more readers (not that those who do aren’t appreciated) and see if I can keep to an update schedule. To that end, for the rest of the year, I’m hoping to post on Monday – Wednesday – Friday . To do this I’m probably going to bend one or two of my rules for blogging but c’est la vie.

So unfortunately over the last few months things have been Rollercoaster like for me. I got involved with a girl who was fantastic, and fun, and cute, and made of win and awesome in equal measures, and for a short time life was good. It would have been perfect if she hadn’t recently gotten out of a 10 year relationship and was actually ready to be in another relationship. Now she was completely upfront about things and I made an informed decision to continue on regardless. We had a lot of fun but eventually it got to that point where we couldn’t get that balance . . . . . . it wasn’t enough for me but it was too much for her. So things ended, as amicably as they could, and I’m still licking my wounds from it.

Work has been consistent at least, I’ve been kept busy enough during office hours but nothing has left the office with me. There will always be those frustrations and tensions but I’ve been in worse working environments. While I’m not using my training or preferred skill sets (yet) at least I’ve got my time after hours that will always be “my time”. Speaking of my time let’s talk about gaming!

I’ve been having a lot of fun running an OWoD (Old World of Darkness) Werewolf game with Gogz and Dave and a couple of friends that haven’t been named yet. I like creating Characters and locations for games so I’ve had fun with this. Though I have been known to get carried away . . . . Gogz spent a couple points in the Mentor Background which gave him an NPC (Non Player Character) to contact if he ever needed help outside of the regular avenues. So I started thinking up this guy and as I was making him up I kind of went overboard on his stats and he ended up 2-3 levels higher than he should have been. But I had so much fun that I made up people he’d have known and a plot hook or two that’ll come up. So I had to tell Gogz shortly after “Em . . . Dude, you have 3 extra dots in Mentor.” Of course there were no complaints from him.

Another game I’m playing in is a Dark Heresy LARP (Live Action Role Play) which is run by a fantastic GM. Twenty months in and we’ve gone through about 8 players even more characters (one player is on his third) to the point where there’s only about 3 of the original players who are still on their original characters. It’s an espionage game set in the WarHammer 40K universe dealing with low level assets of the Inquisition. If you like to get an idea of the setting read The Eisenhorn Trilogy by Dan Abnett . . . . or the Ravenor Trilogy by Dan Abnett . . . . . pretty much anything by Dan Abnett. It’s always a fun game when you fear character death at every turn.

And from gaming we go to Conventions, much less to speak about this year. . . . . I’m counting down the days till Dragon*Con (21 if you’re interested) I don’t know much about who’ll be there this year as I’ve tried to avoid the disappointment that happens when you find out people have dropped out. One name I know will be there is Stan Lee. Only one word for that . . . . Excelsior!!! There will of course be my favourite webcomic artists (Jennie Breeden, Aaron Williams and Pete Abrams to name a few) and I’m hoping to pick up a few more sketches for my Comic Kilt.

And after Dragon*Con there will be the run up to Gaelcon! I’m not on the committee this year but I’ll still be in command of some minions **evil laugh** I don’t know what’s planned for this year but I know it’ll be awesome. More on that as it gets closer to October.
I’m going to wrap up but I’ll leave you with two pieces of advice:

1. Nothing good happens after 2am. (Yeah I heard it on “How I met your Mother” too, but it’s still good to follow)

2. Never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.

Learn from my mistakes, because I haven’t yet.

And why the hell not?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment