Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Emeraldcity . . . . . I left my heart there but also a lot of my wallet! Part 2

So there are still a couple of things I didn't get round to in the first post ( I know you're thinking how is that possible) but seriously there were a lot of things there. Not counting the panels which I didn't get around to attending, there were things like a gaming section (mainly card games), a kids section, and of course the 501st Legion had their own display.

In the gaming section the were a load of tables laid out for card games which also ended up being used as an overflow from the snack area. There were 2 stalls selling gaming supplies and one of the exhibitors had a couple of zombie themed game. One was a spin the wheel game. It was a $1 to try it and every spin won something. I gave it a shot and walked away with a Rare Plasticman Heroclix. The other game was a card with a code on it that you had to walk around and get letters from the exhibitors and guests name based on their location. But once you had the code cracked you had to scratch a section on the other side to see if you won. If you did you had a chance to enter a draw to win Zombie video games. Another thing they did was Zombie make up. I didn't try it out but some of the other attendees were walking aound after it and they looked awesome.

In the Kids area, which was a great thing for the parents, there was some table space for colouring, balloon modellers and other little entertainments for the little tykes. I think the fun part was watching the parents sort out whose turn it was to look after the kids whilst the other went around to see the guest and artists. And the 501st stand had a large group of members walking around and a great backdrop for photoshoot oppurtunities. I think they charged a fee which was to be donated to charity. There were some great characters and I think there might have been a scuffel between Ray Parks and Darth Vader. lol.

The one fun thing for me was dealing with some of the traders. A lot of them were offering services like framing or personalisation and I know they are there to make money but it does get annoying, the constant pestering, the scrutiney, the inevitable "Can I help you sir?" or "Are you okay there?" It was great to be able to say "well I'm from Ireland and I'm flying home so nooo!".

Here are a few random photos.









1. This is what happened after the cancelled Xena.


2. Steampunk is cool.


3. Wookiees got back.


4. Yes I'm a skeeve, don't judge.



And that's pretty much the con wrapped up for now, though there will be a few scattered memories that I'll post as they come back to me.


And why the hell not?!

No comments:

Post a Comment