Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dragon*Con Report Part 2

I'm too tired to do a full report so I'll just cover the highlights . . . .

1. I was abused by Bender.

2. Got an Autograph from Laurell K Hamilton.

3. Got Blown by Jennie B.


Intrigued? then read on.

1. While walking round the walk of fame I stopped to say hi to the guys from Futurama and give them Chocolate. While I waited I ended up talking with a girl from Northern Ireland (see my post for 13/08/10 about how it's a small world). I got to be second in line and the guy in front asked me to take a photo of him with John DiMaggio and Billy West. I was a little nervous and my hand was shaking slightly so the picture was a little blurred and I suggested taking a second one for safety. I was still holding the bag of Chocolate and John jokingly starts shouting at me "Put the Bag down Shakie! Use two Hands!" I took the second shot and gave them the Chocolates before quickly leaving.


2. When I told one of my friends that I was going to Dragon*Con and that Laurell K Hamilton would be there, he asked me to get an advanced reading edition of one of her books. So I tried to get her to sign it on the Saturday so I'd have her Sunday signing as a second chance. I went over to the Marriott Hotel where she was signing and ended up finding a rather long queue already waiting. I joined the end of it and found out that I had nearly 2 hours before the signing was to take place. People kept joining the line and after about half an hour staff kept coming out to count the line and warn people that they probably wouldn't get an Autograph. I was about 87th and the guaranteed cutoff was at 75. The guys on staff told us there was a chance she'd be able to do some more so we hung on as alternates.

Eventually they let the line into the room and the alternates were kept just outside. People were being turned away from behind us and eventually we were brought into the room. So after a short while I got up to her table and her husband Jonathon asked me if I wanted it personalised . . . . . . at this moment I have to say I listened to the little devil on my shoulder and took the opportunity to have a little fun. I asked for a dedication that would imply I had told her some personal details about my friend and laughed evilly as I walked away. ( I gave him the book today and I think he had called me a bastard at least three times before I told him the truth)


3. Dragon*Con is known for many things but one of the well known things is the Kilt Blowings (it's pretty self explanatory). Jennie B from the Devils Panties gathers a large portion of the Kilted population of Dragon*Con parades them out in front of a large crowd of women and lets loose with a Leaf Blower. Since the event was nearly shut down last year due to exposure, this year it was made an official event and she managed to get the use of a room for it. This meant crowd control, ID checks and a stage.

Several of the Larger fans of the WebComic were acting as bouncers and Jennie B had to upgrade from her usual Hard Surface Blowers (their Batteries stopped charging) to a proper Leaf Blower. There were several characters to be blown, Snape, Indiana Jones and Short Round, Steampunk Boba Fett, Link and one of the crowd favourites Jareth The Goblin King. I think next year I'll have to costume up. I was blown shortly after Snape and got my share of cheers so I walked off happy and after wards I got a picture taken with Jennie B.

And that wraps up Saturday, come back tomorrow for Sunday (possibly Monday).

And why the hell not?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment